The Heather Curling Club of the (former) City of St. Boniface, in what is now the City of Winnipeg, was established in 1915. A group of Norwood neighbourhood residents obtained a Charter, incorporated a Company and raised enough money to construct a five sheet rink which was officially opened on Christmas Day the same year.
In 1931, despite the fact that the finances of the Club were in poor shape, the group decided to enlarge the Clubrooms and install a new heating system. A mortgage was arranged amongst the more affluent members, which was retired in ten years.
In 1950, again faced with renovation or building, the group decided to scrap the old rink. A seven sheet rink was constructed and the following year, the old Clubrooms were replaced.
On October 6, 1953, The Heather was the first Club in Greater Winnipeg to install an artificial ice plant.
Late in 1964, an offer for the purchase of the property was made and the building and land were sold to a supermarket chain.
The present structure is considered to be the most modern rink that could be provided. The first Curling Season in the new facility occurred in the 1965-66 season. Opening ceremonies were held December 19, 1965.
The success of The Heather, from its humble beginnings to the present date, has been solely due to the guiding hands of a Membership that has had an abiding faith in the game of curling.
Competitively, 2 rinks from the Club have represented the Province in the Brier. In 1976, the Clare DeBonde rink won the right and in 1978 the Doug Harrison rink was victorious.
In mixed competition, 3 rinks have gone to the National Event. Ernie Boushy’s rink represented the Province in 1964 through 1967, winning the Canadian title in 1964 and 1966. The Jim Dunstone rink won twice in 1971 and 1980, finishing first in 1980. Gene Walker’s rink was Provincial winner in 1981.
In 1989, the Heather Curling Club was host to the ’89 Pepsi Canadian Junior Championships. The Junior Women’s title for 1989 was won by the Cathy Overton Team of The Heather. This team went on to represent Canada and The Heather at the Uniroyal Junior World Champsionships in Portage-la-Prairie, Manitoba
The Heather Curling Club celebrated its 75th year of curling in 1990, (1915-1990) and was the proud home of MCA’s President Ken Roth for the 1993-1994 seasons.
In January 1997, The Heather had two provincial championship teams representing Manitoba at the Canadian Championships.
The Heather has been represented by many championship teams both in the MCA and CCA competitions. Provincial and Canadian championship banners hang proudly in the Clubroom. Canadian championships include the Dunstone team (Canadian Mixed), the Overton team (Canadian Juniors) and Wintonyk team (Canadian Deaf).
In 2000, the Heather was home to MCA President Gary Smith, an Honorary Life Member and Past President of the Club.
The Heather, with eight sheets of ice, has played host to many events, including Provincial championships like the Strathcona Seniors and the Green Valley Juniors. The venue has also been used to host the Canadian Postal Championship, the ’89 Canadian Pepsi Juniors, Knights of Columbus State Spiels and in 2008 the Friars’ Briar, the Canadian Chaplains Championship.
The Heather in the past thirty years has become a multi-purpose venue, with a busy winter season of curling and a summer for hall rentals.