Now that we are in the fourth and final round for the season, I thought I’d send out a news flash
1. Membership Survey
A few weeks ago I sent out emails inviting you to participate in the annual membership survey. Thank you to those of you who have filled it out already. For the rest of you, please complete it in the next week or so, otherwise I may not receive your input in time.
As was done last year, I’d like to get a few volunteers to go over the survey results with me and adjust our plans for the coming season. I would like to complete the review of the survey results by the end of the month. Ideally, I’d like to get 2 volunteers from each of the three nights. If you are interested, let me know.
2. Windup Banquet
No date has been set yet but it will be in mid/late April. I’d like a few volunteers to help with the planning, selling tickets and doing a few things the night of the event, such as help present prizes, take photographs, etc. Let me know if you can help out.
3. Thinking about next year
We will be holding a spring and fall registration per usual. In May, each team will have to pay a portion of their team fees to hold their spot for the coming season. Please don’t miss this registration as a few teams were disappointed last year when I gave their spots to someone else, after they missed the May registration.
Also, the Board is in the process of preparing a budget for next year so I can’t confirm the fees at this point. The fees will go up some, perhaps $10 or $20 per person. As well, I will again over discounts for early payment and for payments made by cash or cheque.
Another volunteer opportunity is to help out with registration night. We could make use of a bartender as well it would be nice to have someone help me out at the registration desk.
4. Club Volunteer Opportunities
Besides the above need to help out with Men’s League, there are other opportunities for volunteers. We could definitely use a few more bodies on the Board. Specific positions include
- Junior Program Coordinator – we had no junior program this year but need to rebuild the program to ensure the long term viability of the Club
- Advertising – sell rink signs provides our Club with some extra revenue to cover those unexpected expenses
- Membership Convenor – work with all leagues to maintain and grow our membership so that we can operate at full capacity, which would allow us to minimize future fee increase
- Marketing – we need some help to put together a marketing plan for the Club. There is an opportunity to better utilize our kitchen attracting members of the local community to come in for a meal. As well, in the off season our social hall is underutilize, except during Folklorama. This could be an opportunity to realize significant off season revenue
- Special Events – planning and executing special events such as banquets, socials, learn-to-curl sessions, a calcutta for the MB Open, bonspiels, etc
- Director at Large – no specific role other than to help out other Board members with various activities as the needs arise
As was the case in prior years, there will be playoffs for each of the A, B & C groups as well as for the League championship. Our draw master Richard Gagnon will be scheduling the games in a few weeks but for now the tentative dates are
- Mar 22,23,24 for the A,B,C semifinals, with the finals the following week
- Mar 28 – Apr 7 for the League championship
Also, the Men’s League champ will play off against the winner of the Commercial League to represent the Club in the Dominion/Travellers Bonspiel http://www.curling.ca/travelerscurls/